Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cost-effectiveness

Found on Jalopnik. Wait for it: 2:00...



Meh, tis interesting and all, though I'm not sure what the point was. The Nissan GT-R is some impressive engineering; even more so is the Bugatti Veyron (it's 1000 HP, after all, while the Nissan is 480). The problem, of course, is the tremendous leap in price...

Nissan GT-R: upwards of $80,000
Bugatti Veyron: upwards of $1.5 million

By contrast, a Ford Mustang can easily be had for $30,000 and retains roughly 50 to 80 percent of the performance of the GT-R, and 10 to 33 percent of the performance of the Veyron for 38% and 2% of the cost, respectively.

This, of course, depends on standards for comparison, of which I've left out one: fuel mileage.

Bugatti Veyron: 8 MPG city/13 MPG highway
Nissan GT-R: 16 MPG city /21 MPG highway
2007 Ford Mustang: 14 MPG city/ 20 MPG highway

I personally dispute the last figure; I have trouble getting it below 17 with hard, naughty driving, and I've achieved over 26 with 75 MPH cruise control.

Anyway, I suppose my point is that performance of particular pedigrees start to have prices beyond their gains. Doubtless, I'm definitely impressed by the achievements, but for a poor ol' Miner, I think I've more than gotten my money's worth with a little Detroit Iron.

0 ramblings:

Post a Comment