Thursday, June 11, 2009

Set phasers for crispy!

Might laser-cooked bacon be the next great advance in cured pork technology?
The bacon cooked well on the top layer, so well that it was slightly charred. After cooking the bacon was thinner after two passes, but didn’t shrink in width like it does with you cook on a pan. It’s possible that some of the top layer of meat was vaporized, but I assume mostly it was cooked.

After two passes I stopped it, the top was already slightly charred, I think if I went any further it would have been mostly charcoal. Maybe a longer cook at a lower setting would make better bacon.

I did try it after the process, it was charred on top, undercooked on the bottom, but still tasted like bacon. I did get a mild upset stomach after, but that was probably psychological.
Or it's "the worms." Interesting idea, but...meh, the results -- odd texture, uneven cooking, and possible parasites -- doesn't sound optimal. I think I'll stick to microwaves, or deep-frying where available.

Found via 4 Volt in my Ponoko newsletter.

0 ramblings:

Post a Comment